Sunday, March 24, 2013

Goodbye, Tim Horton's... hello gross kale burps.

So I set out tonight to buy a juicer and a metric fuck ton of produce.  And I did both, yay me.

As I'm driving out to Target, I passed by a Tim Horton's, and on impulse, I swung through the drive-through for a double-double.  I don't know if I ever consciously admitted it to myself, but doing this detox means no coffee, something I cannot happily live without.  So I knew if I was going to juice tomorrow, I had to say goodbye to coffee for a while, if not forever (hah!) and Tim Horton's is truly the coffee of the gods.  Which is why I'm still up at 2 am, by the way.

So juicer, bought, it was about $70 from Target.  Both Walmart and Target only had about two juicers (and Walmart didn't bother to stock them,) which I found surprising mostly because of the amount of food processors they had there.  What are those things for?  Like I said, clueless on the whole cooking thing.  I just know my Sims use them for like, every meal once you've bought one.

I bought so much produce that I felt like an insane person.  Maybe because it was like 10 pm, and maybe because it was obvious that I haven't set foot in that section since I used to trail my mom around the supermarket.  Anyway, Wegmans is fairly good with buying local and organic, or so they tell me, and at this point in my extremely uneducated ways, I'll just have to believe them.  All of those documentaries basically said anything the stores and labels tell you is warped truth.  Ugh.  I don't have time to decode all this shit.

So, I hadn't eaten dinner, and I have work tomorrow, so when I got home, I set up a game plan.  I unwrapped my juicer, which has about 398 parts, all wrapped in individual baggies and cardboard.  I picked out my ingredients for the drinks I wanted to do tomorrow, and one I'd try for tonight so that I a.) have something in my stomach for the night, and b.) am not fumbling with an expensive chopping device with no experience tomorrow morning.  (I'm following this plan, btw.)

I feel like I used up half of my produce for these three meals.  I didn't make them all, of course, you're supposed to drink them right after you make them, I guess, a fact that will have to be tweaked when it comes to lunch, because I'll have to make it in the morning and refrigerate it during work.  I just don't see any way around it.  And I'm sure that even with all the lost nutrients they say will oxidize or whatever, it's gonna be a way better lunch than the "two hot dogs and mustard" fare I'm known for.

So I decided to go hardcore and choose a dinner drink to start out with (being 10 pm and all,) and the less-appealing one at that.  Because then, hopefully, that's the worst it gets.  And then my morning "meal" with the apples and orange will just be delish, comparitively, even if it still has kale in it.

What I made was a lot of kale, spinach, and celery.  And it tasted like a lot of kale, spinach, and celery.  If this was the entire diet, I'd be in major trouble.  It wasn't puke-worthy, because I am generally a fan of vegetables, and can get things down when I know it's best for me, but I'm not gonna say it was too enjoyable... or enjoyable at all.  So hopefully my theory on tomorrow is gonna work out and my morning drink will be fab.

It didn't look like a lot at first, so I ran my pulp through again, on a higher speed.  That made a lot more juice than I thought it would, so maybe I should try running the higher speed on the first run, tomorrow.  I'm saving my pulp for my mom's compost pile.  She's gonna think I'm crazy for all this, but at least she gets something out of it.

This detox also recommends you start your day with hot water and lemon, so it's gonna be REAL interesting to wake up to that tomorrow instead of some brewing coffee.  I'm drinking some Sleepytime tea right now, which I'm not 100% sure is "allowed," but since it's literally all plants and hot water, please just let me have a hot liquid with flavor.  I restocked on this and green tea and I'm trying to trick myself into thinking these are "treats" or something.  haha.

Day 1 officially starts tomorrow... I passed my little "test" tonight, though not exactly with flying colors.  I can still taste it when I burp.  Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment